What is the Shaping Lives Fund?
The Shaping Lives Fund is the fuel for growth at WPGA. Like all nonprofit independent schools, tuition and government grants cover operating costs and compensation only. We rely on donors’ generosity to fund enriched programs and learning resources; the pandemic also necessitates new technology needs, classroom and facility modifications, health and safety equipment, and financial assistance for WPGA families.
An unrestricted annual fund, Shaping Lives Fund donations will be directed to priority areas that have an immediate and lasting impact on students’ learning and growth. Your support enables WPGA to be a place of inquiry, action and joy, now and for the next 25 years.
How Does the Shaping Lives Fund Work?
The Shaping Lives Fund is open to donations throughout the year, although we request donations in the fall, winter, and end of school year for maximum funding flexibility. For families who are able, we ask that you contribute to the Fund in a way that is meaningful and sustainable. All contributions, regardless of amount, will shape our students’ futures.
A separate philanthropic request is typically made in the spring for our annual Parent Volunteer Group fundraiser, which supports a specific school project and the Student Wishlist.
Where Do Shaping Lives Fund Donations Go?
Funding priorities are identified by teachers and staff and vetted through the School Leadership Team. Gifts over $5,000 can be directed to an area of need. Areas of focus for 2020-2021 included:
Health and Wellness
Program Support and Enhancements
- Equipment/facility improvements for continued optimal safety, e.g. classroom air purifiers, sanitizing stations, protective equipment
- Health and wellness resources
- Additional supplies and instruments for individual student use
- Technology needs, e.g. program licenses, softwear, audio enhancers
- Outdoor learning facilities/equipment, e.g. tents, heaters, seating
- Positive Education character development training and resources
- Connected North, Global Online Academy
- Athletic/fitness coaching and equipment
- Model United Nations and debate program support
- Student leadership programs
- Learning resources
In April 2020, we launched our Financial Assistance Fund to provide short-term tuition assistance to current families. The fund is now a permanent giving option, and we hope to expand our financial assistance program to include more entrance scholarships. How Do I Give?
- Monthly Gifts: Your monthly commitment is the most effective way to support students’ needs. Please submit the online donation form on this webpage and select "monthly gift."
- One Time Gifts: Donations by cheque can be mailed or dropped off at WPGA with the enclosed donation form. Donate by credit card on this webpage or or by calling the Advancement Office at 604-222-8750, x. 1524.
- Gifts of Securities/Stock: Donations of appreciated securities, including stocks, bonds and mutual funds, to a registered charity can turn a potential tax bill into a tax deduction. Download the donation form here.
Donor names (family, Foundation or individual) will be listed in our Annual Report
. Gifts are not reported by levels or amounts and can be anonymous.
If you have questions about the Shaping Lives Fund, contact Khushboo Moolchandani, Advancement Officer, by email
or at 604-222-8750, x. 1524. Thank you for supporting West Point Grey Academy's Shaping Lives Fund.