At independent schools, tuition and government grants cover operating costs and staff compensation only. As a nonprofit organization, we depend upon community funding to pay for enriched programs, teaching resources and facility improvements, all of which make WPGA an incredible place to learn and grow.
What is the Shaping Lives Fund?
The Shaping Lives Fund is the fuel for growth at WPGA. Donations to the Shaping Lives Fund are allocated by our School Leadership Team to meet the school’s priority needs, including learning resources, enriched programs and professional development. Donations to the Shaping Lives Fund have an immediate and lasting impact on students’ learning and school experience.
How Does the Shaping Lives Fund Work?
Although the Fund is open to donations at any time, we extend donation requests in the fall, winter, and end of school year for maximum funding flexibility. Our goal is 100% family participation. We invite you to contribute in a way that is meaningful for your family. All contributions, regardless of amount, are valued and appreciated.
A separate philanthropic request will be made in the spring for our annual Gala, organized by the Parent Volunteer Group. The Gala supports a facility improvement and the Student Wishlist.
Where Do Shaping Lives Fund Donations Go?
Funding priorities are identified by teachers and staff and vetted through the School Leadership Team. Gifts over $5,000 can be directed to any of the specific projects below. If you have another area of interest, please speak with Rebecca Kerbel, Director of Advancement.
In 2018-2019 alone, 70% of WPGA families contributed $717,057 to the Shaping Lives Fund. Your generous contributions empowered us to:
- Start a field hockey club
- Grow vegetables and plants
- Host early literacy experts
- Bring in drama, music and art professionals
- Purchase Google virtual reality glasses
- Purchase more Chromebooks and iPads for student use
- Build a gaga court
- Deliver empowerment programs
- Purchase updated music equipment
- Increase student access to online resources
- Support our Model UN and debate teams
- Subsidize student participation in off-campus events and competitions
- Support our choral program
- Purchase learning tools such as reader pens
- Build an apiary and offer student workshops on bee ecology
- Purchase STEM and chemistry equipment
- Support student leadership and service programs
- And so much more!
How Do I Give?
- Monthly Gifts: Your monthly commitment is the most effective way to support students’ needs. Please submit the online donation form on this webpage and select "monthly gift."
- One Time Gifts: Donations by cash, cheque, credit card or gift of stock can be submitted online or by calling Khushboo Moolchandani, Advancement Coordinator, at 604-222-8750, x. 1524. Donations are payable to WPGA Foundation.
- Gifts of Securities/Stock: Donations of appreciated securities, including stocks, bonds and mutual funds, to a registered charity can turn a potential tax bill into a tax deduction. Download the donation form here.
Donor names (family, Foundation or individual) will be listed in our Annual Report
. Gifts are not reported by levels or amounts and can be anonymous.
Contact: If you have questions about the Shaping Lives Fund, contact Rebecca Kerbel, Director of Advancement, by emailor at 604-222-8750, x. 1523.
Thank you for supporting West Point Grey Academy's Shaping Lives Fund.