Learning Resource Specialist, Math/Science 8-12
POSITION: LEARNING RESOURCE SPECIALIST, MATH/SCIENCE 8-12
REPORTS TO: HEAD OF RESOURCE & LEARNING CENTRE
START DATE: AUGUST 27, 2018
Learning Resource Teachers in WPGA’s Resource & Learning Centre, “The Study”, are an integral part of our Learning Support team. Teachers work 1-1 with assigned students, providing direct instruction, and ensuring the strategies used are suited to their learning needs. They will be able to offer tutorial support in Senior Math & Science course, contribute to writing Individualize Education Plans (IEPs) and developing SMART goals. All staff in The Study work collaboratively with classroom teachers to effectively support Senior School students.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work 1:1 with Senior School students (grades 8-12) offering tutorial support in Math & Science, including:
- Math 8-12
- Chemisty 8-12
- Physics 11-12
- Biology 11-12
- Science 8-10
- Create individualized student learning support based on student IEP/profile
- Direct teaching of skills, overlearning of skills to ensure students reach automaticity
- Work with students to help them create goals and objectives and update them on an on-going basis
- Document daily progress of each student
- Work collaboratively with the Learning Support team to effectively support student learning
- Participate in IEP meetings
- Write report card comments
- Regularly connect with classroom teachers
- Support student’s academic, co-curricular, and personal growth
- Integrate fully in school life
- Participate in professional development opportunities
- Supervise groups of students during recess, lunch, before and/or after school
- Make an active contribution to our extensive co-curricular programs, and participate fully in the culture of our independent school community.
- Undergraduate degree in Math or Science
- Bachelor's Degree in Education an asset
- Demonstrated tutoring experience in math/sciences at a senior level
- Demonstrated experience with the BC curriculum
- B.C. Teacher’s certificate an asset
- Ability to make learning hands-on using manipulatives, visuals etc.
- Possess an attitude of acceptance towards learning differences
- Exemplary communication skills (oral and written)
- Ability to interact positively, co-operatively and professionally with students, teachers, parents, faculty and administration
- Highly reflective and committed to continuous professional growth and improvement.
- Possess strong organizational and time management skills
Please email a cover letter and résumé, citing “Learning Resource Teacher
” in the subject line, to WPGA Careers
by April 2, 2018.