Rooted in WPGA's mission of Shaping Lives of Inquiry, Action and Joy, our inquiry-based JK program aims to inspire in children a lifelong love of learning. Through guided inquiry and experiential activities, many of which take place outdoors, children develop a strong foundation in literacy, numeracy, motor skills and creative expression. Music, art, science and social studies are woven into the daily schedule, with a PE block daily and Spanish, French or Mandarin alternated weekly. Students are active and spend time each day in nature.
Literacy and Numeracy
- A literacy-rich environment fosters reading engagement and vocabulary development; multiple interactions with text each day explore relationships between letters, sound, structure and grammar.
- The use of natural elements, with connections between shape, form, quantity and quality, facilitate an understanding of abstract math concepts.
- Technology is used as a tool, where appropriate, to enhance learning.
- Teachers, trained in attachment theory, develop connections with each student to support children’s social-emotional wellbeing and decision-making capabilities.
- Children are guided to naturally converse with peers, which sets the stage for friendship and collaboration.
- The school’s values of inclusiveness and mindfulness are integrated to encourage kindness to self and others.
- Language lessons (French, Spanish, Mandarin) include interactive activities that relate to different cultures around the globe.
- Children are part of the school community, with older student "buddies," regular visits to the school library, and participation in school events, concerts and assemblies.
- Service and sustainability are emphasized, with opportunities to contribute to our school, local and global communities, and the environment.